The county has a number of churches dating back to Florida’s territorial period with a Catholic presence that begins with the founding of St. Augustine in 1565.
- Ancient City Baptist Church Organized in 1887, the congregation completed construction on the church in 1895.
- Article: St. AmbroseParish An overview and history of St. Ambrose Parish and its cemetery.
- Biography of Barton B. Bigler, pastor Memorial Presbyterian Church This biography has been posted to the USGenWeb Archives.
- Diocese of St. Augustine The Catholic Church of North Florida
- Florida Memory – Map of Missions from Apalach to Saint Augustine Represents the trail that existed about 1630.
- Grace United Methodist Church What began as a small congregation in 1881, today’s church is a beautiful example of Henry Flagler’s vision for St. Augustine.
- History of Nuestra Senora de la Leche y Buen Parto & St. Augustine Via FamilySearch – a history of the oldest parish in the U.S.
- History of the Cathedral Basilica A short history of the Catholic Church in early Florida
- Memorial Presbyterian Church This beautiful church was built by Henry Flagler as a memorial to his daughter. It is home to Florida’s first Presbyterian congregation, established in 1824.
- Mission of Nombre de Dios The Mission is the spot where the Spanish settlers landed and celebrated the first mass for the colony that would be named St. Augustine.
- St. Ambrose Catholic Church The first church was built in 1875 however the ministry to the rural area of southwest St. Johns County goes back to 1860.
- St. Ambrose Churchyard Photos Photos of the church and cemetery at St. Ambrose Parish at Flickr.
- St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church Founded in 1873, this church continues to support St. Augustine’s African-American community.
- The Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine The cathedral is located on Cathedral Place across from the Plaza.
- The Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine Although construction of this church didn’t begin until 1793, the Catholic Church in St. Augustine dates back to the settlement’s beginnings in 1565.
- The Sisters of St. Joseph The first sisters arrived just after the Civil War and began a tradition of education that continues today.
- Trinity Episcopal Church The parish was established in 1821 and is the oldest protestant parish in Florida. Parts of the church building date back to 1830.